Welcome to EJBees and our Online Beginning Beekeeping Class!
We look forward to seeing you soon at our regular monthly meetings and special events, such as the Rhody Festival Parade with our float and banners and Jefferson County Fair, where we operate an educational booth all about bees. You’ll enjoy meeting the other EJBees members and developing new friendships.
How to find the Online Class:
- Open the main menu at the top left corner of the ejbees.com home page.
- Select “Online Class” from the menu to open the Beginning Beekeeping Class section of the blog.
- Scroll down the page to find “Protected: Module 1| Honey Bee Basics|” to begin the course.
- Click on “continue reading,” and on the page that opens up, enter the correct password and click “enter.”
How to get the most from our classes:
- Download The Bee Book from WSDA on the blog site and read it – chapters loosely correspond to the videos.
- Go through the PowerPoint presentations in order, taking notes.
This course follows the Washington Master Beekeeper Apprenticeship Curriculum. The instructor whose voice you will hear, makes occasional recommendations, and he does so with 15 years of beekeeping experience. He, like every other beekeeper, has made plenty of mistakes along the way. The trick is to learn from those mistakes.
What’s essential for you is never to stop learning about bees. One 5-week class will only pique your interest in the fantastic world of beekeeping.
Remember, ask two different beekeepers a question, and you’ll get three answers. Also, remember, the bees haven’t read any bee manuals or watched any of these videos. Beekeeping is always an adventure.
Each Saturday for the next 5 weeks, you’ll receive a password for the next module in the series:
- Please copy the password and stow it in a safe place.
- Each module has a different password and is case-sensitive.
- Please do not share passwords.
- If you lose your password, email for help: [email protected]
Below each video, you’ll find a PowerPoint “pdf” for that class that you can print with space for notes:
- Follow along with the video—you can pause the video or move it forward or back as you wish.
- Review the video as needed, so you can get the maximum benefit.
- Jot down your questions, or note slide numbers where we could perhaps explain a little better.
If you have questions:
- Review the Q&A section found at the bottom of the blog post to see whether the question has already been asked by someone else. The questions and answers will be displayed in this way for all to see.
- If your question isn’t already in the Q&A, ask-away!
- If you have a question that is specific to you and your situation, please send it directly to the instructor via email: [email protected]
- Be active! Ask questions!
If you feel overwhelmed, don’t worry! Everyone does sometimes. It will all come together.
At the End of the Course
You will have an opportunity to take an exam to get an Apprentice Beekeeper Certificate as part of the Washington State Master Beekeeper Education/Certification Program if you would like, or if you need the “credit” for school or work. The cost is $10. We’ll offer more information about this later.
Next month, we’ll email some possible dates for you to consider visiting a working apiary for some hands-on experience if you are interested.
Again our hearty welcome to the EJBees Beginning Beekeeper course and the great experience of beekeeping!
Mike, Rich, and Susi
Module Sign In Help
How to sign into Modules: 4 steps
Click on menu button upper left
Click on ONLINE Class
Scroll down and find Module and click “Continue Reading”
Enter the password for that module and click “Enter”
This will take you to the class you chose. Scroll down and find each of the two class videos and the PowerPoint PDFs for those videos.
FYI, each module has two classes. Module 1 has Classes 1 & 2, Module 2 has Classes 3 & 4, Module 3 has Classes 5 & 6, Module 4 has Classes 7 & 8, and Module 5 has Classes 9 & 10. Each Module has a different password. After you have the password for a Module, those classes will be available for you to review any time you wish as many times as you wish.
Any problems please email: [email protected]